Sunday, February 2, 2014

Finish Something!

For the second day in a row, I woke up with the overwhelming thought that I need to finish what I start. I actually think this thought was in my subconscious and prior to my alarm waking me prematurely, would have stirred me out of sleep. 

I made a mental list of things I'd hoped, wanted or started to do but had yet to see them come alive: children's book in illustration limbo, novel, documentary...and other creative ideas I don't even want to name because someone might take my great idea (yes, they're that good). I've made a few strategic moves in the last few days to put some legs to a few of these but what I'm more interested in is to see them take flight. 

Finishing means you have to start, right? Sure, things take time. I get that. I absolutely respect the process that it takes to build dreams. But what propels someone to finish what they start? I realized the only thing I've ever finished was my education. After that, the rest is up to me. I've often marveled at another's ability to bring into fruition a vision, an idea or a goal that was once just a little seed in their mind. I have even asked myself, "how did they do that so quickly?" Or, "I'd like to do something like that."

I won't make any lofty goals, resolutions or promises here. The objective is simply to finish. Not in a specific time frame that is unrealistic or gives no room for mistakes. Looking back I've pigeonholed myself to timelines. Such pressure forced me to cave to it--leaving my projects isolated and alone for months upon months. This time the I'll just encourage myself to do. To work progressively toward the goal and see it through to its completion. Hard work never hurt anyone. It's time to work!


"Run mad, as often as you choose. But do not faint!" - Jane Austen

1 comment: