Tuesday, February 2, 2016

30 Weeks: Urine Tests and Bed Rest

In my mind, 30 weeks gestation was a milestone. Maybe it was because it was an even number to get to 40 weeks. I wanted bags packed and ready for the hospital by the end of January, just in case it was necessary. But procrastination, got the best of me and none of that was in place when I had my prenatal visit last Thursday, at 29 weeks and 6 days.

I knew going in my body didn't feel right. The swelling in my ankles was lingering longer than before. Sometimes, even after a full night's sleep, they would still be pretty swollen. There was also continued puffiness in my hands, mild headaches and I was starting to see spots too often. The nurse told me my blood pressure was 142/96. Further, when my doctor came to see me, there was 1000mg of protein in my urine. A normal protein reading is around 300mg. Off to the hospital I went for additional testing to rule out preeclampsia. 

I experienced preeclampsia with Trinity, now almost 8. But it was much different and much later in the pregnancy. During that time, I was almost 37 weeks pregnant and my blood pressure shot up quickly during one of my last prenatal visits. After being induced, my cervix did not dilate and my blood pressure did not go down. An emergency C-section was the result. 

The first night was repeat labs with additional blood work to check my blood platelet levels. The results of my urine tests were worse than earlier, at 2800mg. My blood pressure was also continuing to fluctuate so I was kept overnight. 

That evening, beginning at 8:30pm I was going to get real acquainted with my urine. I underwent what is called a 24 hour urine test. I peed into a small white "hat" that was secured by the toilet. I then poured that specimen into a large red jug that was sitting on ice. From 8:30pm Thursday until 8:30pm Friday, I repeated this each time I used the bathroom. 

Around 10:30pm Friday, the nurse informed me, my results were even higher: 4000mg. I almost certainly thought they would keep me on bed rest in the hospital after I heard that. One of the doctor's on-call came to my room Saturday morning and informed me they were releasing me. Because my blood work was normal and my blood pressure readings were not extreme, the doctors were okay with following up with weekly monitoring, with light bed rest. 

Each week of pregnancy is a milestone for the baby a woman nurses in her uterus. It is especially delicate when there are multiples. The biggest concern at this point is keeping the boys safe and stable until their bodies are ready. It's now up to my body to manage all of this properly. 

Truthfully, each doctor's visit and each ultrasound brings me a rush of anxiety. Perhaps it is because of a prior miscarriage coupled with the delicacy and surprise of carrying twins, I am constantly feeling for both of their movements and find myself getting more ready to see their faces and watching them taking their first breath.

So, light bed rest it is. Whatever allows my body to manage properly in order to keep the boys safe--I'm for it. 

The journey has just begun.

***********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment